Founded in 1811 the Church, now a Grade 2 Listed building, was erected outside the village. In 1857 a two storey extension was added, which included some living accommodation. Unusually this resulted in three un-connected Galleries, the original two containing box pews.
Amongst the founders were members of the Cubitt – Cooke families. A plaque commemorates them in the church. And there’s a page especially for them.
The first pastor, William Spurgeon, “sustained this office well for nearly 47 years” dying in 1861 aged 74. He is commemorated by a plaque in the church. [Not a relative of the famous Baptist preacher and pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon]
The Graveyards (see Photos) The Original graveyard was at the front of the church. Later it was extended to the back, where burials still take place. Many non-conformist churches either never had, or no longer have, a graveyard. So we are fortunate to be able to still offer this facility.
Stables were built alongside the church, together with two Sunday School Rooms and an outside toilet. A Manse (minister’s house) and a care-taker’s cottage (both since sold) plus land at both ends of the site, completed the original complex. A kitchen and indoor toilets were added around the 1960s, both of which have been recently updated (see Photos)
We praise God for his faithfulness for over 200 years!
Our thanks to Sue Seeley (our pastor for 10 years until Dec. 2013) for her continuing work on the history pages.